Hey I'm Harry 👋
Web enthusiast with a passion for building things. Serial entrepreneur with 3 companies founded in the last 4 years. Tens of pivots and plenty of failures along the way, I am decidedly driven and fabulously ambitious.
My specialisation is in front-end development coupled with a good eye for design and proficient knowledge of how users interact with interfaces (UX).
I pride myself on writing code that is easy to read, understand and communicate. I'm a big fan of the Unix philosophy and believe that code should be modular, reusable and easy to test.
Born and bred Londoner, currently based in Berlin.
I like to play football, read fantasy and history novels, support Crystal Palace and travel the world. I love to eat Italian, Indian and Lebanese food.
Some of my favourite books include: A Storm of Swords, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, The Lord of the Rings, All Quiet on the Western Front, Jane Eyre, The Road, The Shining, The Forgotten Soldier.
Co-founder & CTO
May 2019 — Present
I co-founded and run lingly, an integrated booking and payments platform for language professionals.
As the sole technical co-founder, I make all technical decisions to lead the product and team down the most optimal route to reach product-market-fit.
lingly is a monolithic web app built using Next.js, TypeScript, Prisma (SQL), Jotai, and ChakraUI. We integrate with Google Calendar and leverage Stripe's low-code platform to offer a seamless booking and payment platform for language tutors.
Co-founder & CIO
December 2020 — Present
workauto is SaaS that is built to help automobile garages scale their business with efficient task and customer control.
workauto is a full-stack web-app built using Next.js, Nest.js, MongoDb and Vercel.
Senior React Developer
Sep 2021 — Present
I was contracted to oversee and assist in an architectural shift away from the existing vanilla JS React codebase. I co-led the front-end team and introduced best practices in not just code quality but also processes and documentation, ensuring we were producing scalable and efficient financial dashboards for the World Gold Council.
During my time at 542 I spearheaded:
- A move to a TypeScript based React codebase using Redux Toolkit.
- Introducing a clear component-based approach to building user interfaces.
- Using a consistent and well documented architectural style for our TS and LESS code.
- Building a shared component library that was driven from a Figma design system provided by AKQA.
- Setting up a GitLab CI/CD pipeline that handled linting, building, automatic versioning and changelog creation.
- Automatic UAT docker deployments and easy one-click production deployments.
Full Stack Developer
Mar 2021 — Mar 2022
- scale is a native mobile built for Android and iOS that fosters fun and simple fishing games with friends.
- Tech stack includes; React Native, TypeScript, Nest.js, MongoDb, Web sockets.
Full Stack Developer
Sep 2020 — Aug 2021
- Assisted in porting a 20-year-old Windows Application to a modern web-based solution. C# mono-repo using Blazor, .NET Core and SQL.
- Introduced a high customised component library (Ant Design).
- Compliant with the pharmaceutical industry.
Front End Developer
Oct 2019 — Dec 2020
I worked primarily as a front-end developer in close collaboration with a designer and the marketing team. I was responsible for maintaining and expanding Winton's suite of front-facing products, including:
- Public site (CMS) where we average around 40k monthly visitors.
- The investor's portal where clients view their fund performance & download reports.
- 'Fusion' component library that shares React components and SCSS modules across multiple Winton products.
Tech stack included: React, Redux, SCSS, TypeScript, Angular, .NET Core, SQL, Azure
Junior Full Stack Developer
Jul 2017 — Feb 2019
My first technical role outside of university saw me as the sole responsibility for the front-end development on ‘NSSport’ – a public-facing e-commerce site, using the following:
- .NET Core, Entity Framework, SQL
- Contributed to early design and core UX decisions.
- Responsible for client engagement.
- Assisted Lead Developer with the REST API and server development and implementation, which used .NET Core v2.
BEng Software Engineering - 1st Class Honours
Sheffield Hallam University
Sep 2015 — Jun 2019
My final year modules consisted of:
- Applications, Architectures and Frameworks – 77%
- Management of IT Projects – 61%
- Mobile Applications – 71%
- Technical Computing Project – 78%
- Case Studies in Software Design – 81%
Get in touch